Managing Global Projectsaktuell
Increasing globalization of business operations and the high importance of project structures for global operations force companies worldwide to develop and strengthen their capabilities for managing global projects. Therefore, future professionals capable of successfully coordinating projects across multiple countries and cultures will have excellent career prospects. To prepare students for the task of managing global projects, the course topics include:
- Characteristics and organization of global projects,
- Cultural influences (effects and remedies),
- Controlling of globally distributed projects,
- Challenges of IS outsourcing/offshoring projects.
For each of these topics, students will be given an introduction to the topic (knowledge transfer) and then work on real-world examples to gain deeper insights into the topic (knowledge application).
In addition, students will work in teams on a project during the semester.
Lernziele & Kompetenzen
The main goal of the course is to familiarize students with the foundations of successful management in global IT-projects.
The course follows a student-centered learning approach, consisting of a cycle of knowledge transfer and application.
The students will:
- describe the project life cycle
- evaluate challenges caused by distance in globally distributed projects and learn about the approaches of dealing with them
- evaluate IT archetypes and decision domains
- evaluate PMOs in (IT) organization
- analyze different collaboration tools
Due to organizational reasons, participation in the Kick-off session (26.10.2017) is mandatory.